CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Thursday, February 14, 2008

What's Hot From Spamalot 2/14

Today, straight from Spamalot, we have some new stage door pictures and a great story centering around The Lady of the Lake - Hannah Waddingham.

I saw this on another board which came from CV.
Interesting late recap tonight from Stripedshirts via CV:
stripedshirts
Feb 13 2008, 11:33 PM Post #2565

Back from Spamalot tonight.

I am so glad I changed my mind & went - & I want to thank someone for making me do so, & it happened in the most funniest, coincidental way: by bumping into one of the cast members right out in Times Square.

I was heading towards the subway after work tonight around 6:30 to go home; I was tired & cranky. Then who do I see coming out of The Gap at 42nd Street?? No....not Clay. I wish. It was The Lady of the Lake - Hannah Waddingham herself! She was dressed in civilan clothes of course, but was wrapped to the chin virtually - it's cold out. I did a double take when she stepped out of the door - & yelled her name out. She stopped & turned around, then came over to me. She is a GIANT - I knew she was a tall woman, but my god, she is an Amazon in front of me - I had to look way up at her to talk.

I couldn't believe I would bump into her out in the street, & I was delighted when she was able to take time to talk to me. I told her she was missed - the substitutes were okay, both Emily & Jenny held their own - but they just didn't have the finesse Hannah had. Hannah explained that she was downed by bronchitis. She didn't have much time for a brake after coming to Spamalot, NYC - when she did her last show in London a month back, she jumped on an airplane straight to NYC, & headed straight for rehearsals, not having a moment to herself. Then the stress & shock set in, & her body virtually shut down. "My body said, 'no more - you need to rest'" so she was out for the week to recover.

She had no makeup on, but looked terrific - the rest & time off did her good.

I talked about how hysterical & dedicated the cast is. She agrees that this is a terrific cast - everyone is very good, & it was Chris Seiber, Sir Galahad who helped her get this role. She's worked w/ him before, & they are close friends.

I love "The Song that Goes Like This" no. that she performs w/ Chris; & here is one
thing she did that will be burned into my brain forever - as I was saying how well they work together repeating the part that goes "Yes it is, yes it is!" Hannah suddenly turned her nose up, closed her eyes, pursed her upper lip til it as if to create a half pucker, & mocked sang 'eeYesshh it is!' prompting me to crack up. You have to imagine what I'm trying to describe to get an idea what I'm telling you, because she does the exact same thing on stage to Chris while they're singing - it's drop dead funny.

Lastly, I asked why she hasn't been out to greet the fans after the show. She explained that she has to take the time to wipe off her make up. The boys have it easy - it's just mop & go. By the time she comes out, everyone's gone from the stage entrance. I felt bad, & felt even more bad when she said "I didn't think I was making an impact on the audience since most of the crowd here is for Clay". awwwww .......after that statement from her, I'd stick around a little after Clay leaves to show Hannah some love. after all, she & Clay are the new recruits & both deserve equal accolades from all audiences, even if she has to take longer to come out. & the same goes for the rest of the cast, who all deserve appreciation if not more.

She had to meet Chris Seiber for tea & was running late, so I bid her goodbye; then I raced over to the Schubert & bought myself a standing room tkt. It was an hour before showtime, & after meeting Hannah so randomly, I had completely changed my mind about going home. I am so glad I went. Chatting w/ Hannah made for part of my night; Spamalot is laugh therapy to me after a rough couple of days due to personal & work. Tonite I allowed myself a brake & reconnected to the fun side of life again.

Hannah being back on the show tonight made everything feel right again & the show was just fabulous w/ the added Kids on Broadway Night & Clay sharing his 1st Bway experience to the audience. He was taken by surprise when Jonathon Hadary/King Arthur turned the attention about 'first Bway show' to him. Then Clay talked about how he went to a production of Huck Finn w/ his mom back when he was in the 7th grade & how seeing Martin Moran opened his eyes about earning a living as a performer/singer. Clay was SO eloquent & well spoken with this story, that I think many there who weren't fans of his were impressed w/ his demeanor. Lancelot, Bedever, King Arthur, Hannah - everyone who stood around Clay while he shared his story, were smiling & listening & nodding.

Finally.....

I found out Mike Nichols was here tonight. A meeting was set for the cast after the show. Now that Hannah is back on duty, I wouldn't be surprised if there may be some changes/touch ups in tomorrow's show, especially w/ the new revised lyrics removing Britney Spears from the verse. I think it will be an especially fun show tomorrow given it being Valentines Day & I can't wait to see just what this cast may pull

2 more things to muse over...

- after hearing Hannah out, (she was absolutely lovely to talk to) I am all the more grateful Clay is healthy & has not missed a performance to date.

- I'll miss Chris when he leaves Spamalot, I think in March - he'll be starring in Shrek the Musical later on this yr.

So that's it. my long winded report from tonight's show; but it was a fun, almost cathartic report to write.

ETA: I don't want to set the wrong impression that Hannah felt unappreciated - she understands she still needs to time to build her status as a singer/performer here in the city, so in no way is she disrespectful of our support for Clay.
  • Here are some great stage door pictures taken by Nofancyclothes at Clayversity:



  • 0 comments:


    CDD supports:

    Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF