CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sedaka Mentions Clay on NPR Radio

Neil Sedaka mentioned Clay in his interview with National Public Radio (NPR) today. The CB's gerwhisp has already uploaded a cap to SendSpace for you to download.

Clay is scheduled to perform at a 50th anniversary concert for Neil Sedaka in New York in October.

Here's a recap/transcript from stripedshirts at Clayversity:

here is a little hidden treat from NPR that I found from their 'FRESH AIR' program.

I'm not sure if it's been presented here before, but ...... it's dated 4 months back, but a goodie for those of you who may even have a mild interest in Neil Sedaka. He was promoting his new cd, "The Definitive Collection". It's a rather enjoyable interview, about a good 10 -15 minutes of meaty material - and yes, there is a Clay mention. Takes a while to get there, but it's a pleasurable listen along the way. After you hear this interview, you'll learn more about why/how Neil & Clay's lives as a teen growing up & as a singer parallel eachother pretty close. I scanned the interview kind of quickly to get to the good Clay part - but did hear that Neil was a misfit in high school & was raised by a bunch of women....sound familiar?

Quote:

Q: "Now of course in American Idol a few years ago, Ruben sang a slow version of "Breaking Up is Hard to Do", and Clay recorded "Solitaire". And you were a guest judge. What kind of advice did they ask you...did they tell you to be nice, or take the gloves off and be tough?"

A: "....I wanted to be tough, but my son said, "Dad, there are 30 million people watching...be careful of what you say.....I think these kids are front of millions of people, it's a difficult thing. But I must tell you how I got on. Everyone was saying "Neil, you must be a celebrity judge" and I thought it's so difficult, so many people trying to get on! I think these kids are front of millions of people, it's a difficult thing. But I must tell you how I got on. my publicist said perhaps if you called personally to the show, you'd have a better chance. I picked up the phone, spoke to a Susan Slaymer of the staff, and I said, "Hi, this is Neil Sedaka, I would love to come on as a celebrity judge...I watch the show, I'd love to come on as a celebrity judge" And she said, "Are you kidding? Who is this?" & I said, "this is Neil Sedaka" she said "sit there, we're having a meeting" She called me back in an hour, and said "you'll be on in 2 wks & the 5 finalists will be singing Neil Sedaka songs". I was over the moon.

Q: "What impact did that have on your career"?

A: "The catalog went through the roof. All of the old records started to sell. Amazon went through the wall, & "Solitaire" by Clay was the biggest, I think the 2nd biggest seller of that year".

---

NEIL SEDAKA: STILL KEEPING IT TOGETHER

click on the LISTEN button for the interview. The Clay mention comes almost 7-8 mins. into the recording. I rather found it an enjoyable interview. Neil is one of very few out there who GETS Clay.

** Cute plug about Neil doing a children's songs cd, parodying his own hits from the years...I remember from an m&g report that Clay mentioned wanting to do something for kids - was it a book or a cd? I can't remember!

This is great segue towards Neil's tribute event coming up in Oct. I personally WISH Neil would work on something just for Clay & his new cd.....

My request: Can someone here w/ the best sophisticated tech skills PLEASE convert this interview into an MP3 file???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That goes to show Mr. Sedaka has a good pair of ears for great voices and music.

Anonymous said...

I remember Neil offering Clay that night, right after completing his gripping version of Solitaire, that he'd work with him on an album anytime. I'd love for it to happen.


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF