CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Recent UNICEF Trip By Clay - Thinking Back On Clay's Beliefs


Today, as I read both the UNICEF Press Release about Clay's trip to Afghanistan and the Press Conference that Clay was a part of, I began to think of comments Clay made early on when he was still on American Idol. I wonder if we really had any idea from some of the things he said back then just how strong his convictions about his role as a celebrity example really was. Oh, I knew that he was a great role model and had strong moral convictions. I felt strongly about supporting him because of that.

But as I look at some of the things Clay said that were released today and couple that with what he has said in the past, I realize how strongly he stands for what he truly believes in and then acts upon it. Think back to some of the things he has said in the past:

On being a role model:
"You can be a good one or a bad one. I got to this point and it’s a high profile job and on top of that, there are the rigors and pressures of being in the public eye all the time. And my absolute priority, more than having a good song, is to set a good example. I accept it as a responsibility."

"It's important that I make a difference in some way. It's not necessarily how I make a difference, but I want to make sure that I do."

Clay's on his definition of an Americal Idol: "American celebrities have an amazing amount of influence on the way America thinks, feels, and acts. I think that such an influence should be used in the most positive way possible."
And: "Someone with a talent that leaves a mark on American society and inspires people to think, feel, love, act."

"It's not the money. It's not the fame. It's the influence."
Now, look back at some of the things he said in these press releases:
It is our goal in UNICEF to raise awareness and money. I think probably the most important thing I will be able to do is to talk about some of the positive things I have seen. Because very few people in the US have the opportunity to learn about the positive things that are taking place in Afghanistan. And that is the kind of thing that encourages people to get out of their seats...So I am looking forward to be able to go back there and say not only do we need your help but here is why because here are the great things that are happening here and these are the positive outcomes of your support...

...As you fly in or as we flew into Bamiyan and when we were flying to Kabul it is dark, rough and dusty. And as we were approaching Bamiyan on the plane I was told of the promise of the grass and the promise of green. When the summer comes there would be grass over the hills and that it is so beautiful and lush in the summer yet I didn’t see that and some were skeptical that any grass grew in Bamiyan. When we flew out today and I looked out of the window and I saw a little grass peeking through. And I think that has been a kind of capstone experience for me here in Afghanistan that there is so much promise and it has been a long winter for Afghanistan and it is spring time finally. I think that is what UNICEF is excited about doing and being a part of the rebirth and re-growth and part of the spring time here in the country and I am thrilled to be associated with them for that reason.
What I see in Clay is someone who has so much to give, who sees the positive in the situation around him, who sees hope and promise. And not only does he see these things, but he is reaching out to do all he can to see that these things happen, that news of these things are spread to others so they can also take part.

He said early on that he wanted to make a difference, to be a positive influence, to inspire others. And not only did he mean this in word, he has shown it very strongly in his actions. We should strive to see that a little bit of Clay Aiken shines in all of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Clay's Daily Double!

Once again, it was through CDD that I learned breaking news about Clay - that he is/was in Afghanistan. :-)

Do I ever admire that incredible young man! And thank you for this beautiful post, making the links between Clay during AI2 and Clay now: he is still our Clay, faithful to his values and strong in his social commitments. What a role model!

Best,

ClayKat

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Jan D! :)


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF