CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Friday, November 04, 2005

Cute Interview with LA's DailyBreeze.com

Music: Aiken jolly about Christmas tour, not this interview
BY COREY LEVITAN
RAVE!

IN CONCERT

What: Clay Aiken's "Joyful Noise" tour.

When: 8 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday.

Where: Kodak Theatre, 6801 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood.

Tickets: $45.50-$80.50 through Ticketmaster, 213-480-3232.

I'm not a fan of Clay Aiken's music. But that's OK. As a 40-year-old male, I'm not exactly his target demographic. I accepted his publicist's offer of an interview because millions of people do like him. A lot.

Besides, judging from the interviews I've read, the 26-year-old "American Idol" runner-up seemed like someone with a healthy sense of himself. So I figured a playful interview would work for both of us.

Things began on a bad foot, however, when his manager got on the line and indicated that Aiken would only be available for 10 minutes. A good Q&A requires at least 15, I explained.

Things got much worse when Aiken hung up two-thirds into this interview, because he didn't feel playful.

I was wrong, it turns out. A good Q&A requires only eight minutes.

Q: Hi, Clay. Where are you right now?

A: I'm in L.A., at rehearsals.

Q: This is your second Christmas tour. Tell me some of what's different about it.

A: It's got a little more theatrical element to it this year. We did an orchestra tour last year. This year we opted to forgo the onstage orchestra and instead use actors and dancers and give it more of a Christmas-y feel, with a story line and a little more activity on stage.

Q: What's the story line?

A: It's got a very typical, traditional Christmas feel to it. I can't tell you too much without giving too much away. It's not "A Christmas Carol" in any way, but there's this character who's not necessarily in the Christmas spirit, and another character helps bring that Christmas spirit back to her.

Q: Is this going to be a regular thing, the Christmas tour?

A: We'd like to continue doing it every year. It's always been my favorite [tour] to do.

Q: Do you want to be the new Burl Ives or something?

A: I don't know. He became a household name and made his mark on American society, so I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Q: Like Burl, you seem to be more popular as a seasonal artist than as a nonseasonal one. I noticed that "Measure of a Man" (Aiken's 2003 CD) is selling used for 75 cents on Amazon.com, while "Merry Christmas With Love" (his 2004 CD) is selling for a full $6.29.

A: Um, well, I think, it's newer. And as we get close to the holiday season, we sell more. But when we put another album out next year, I'm sure it'll change just a little bit.

Q: Ever consider a Hanukkah album? You can call it "Made It Out of Clay."

A: I kind of doubt that'll happen. (laughs)

Q: So why do the chicks dig you so much?

A: I have absolutely no idea. They didn't dig me back when I was in North Carolina. Nowadays when they scream my name because they want to see me or talk to me, I'm kind of surprised. I don't understand it completely.

Q: Does it bother you when people say you didn't work for your fame?

A: No, it doesn't bother me at all because, without a doubt, I've probably worked harder than a lot of people do who've done this, because 'Idol' is not a walk in the park at all. And then trying to get rid of the stigma and trying to maintain any type of momentum off of that show is probably just as hard, if not harder, than someone who comes up a different way.

Q: What would you be doing if not for "American Idol" right now?

A: Teaching, probably. I spent two or three years teaching in an elementary school, so I'm sure I'd continue to do that and maybe one day try to aspire to do something more -- maybe be a principal or something like that.

Q: Do the ex-Idols have a clique -- like a Brat Pack that hangs out?

A: I stay in touch with Ruben (Studdard) and Kimberly Locke from my season, and I'm friends with Kelly (Clarkson) because we toured together. But for the most part, we've all kind of gone our separate ways.

Q: What do you make of that Corey guy and Paula Abdul?

A: Um, I'm not talking about that. You know something? I think that's kind of immature. I'm not gonna get into that whole scandal. There's no reason to discuss that.

Q: Do you think anyone would fool around with Simon Cowell, even to win?

A: You know what? I think we're finished. (click)

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF