CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Monday, October 31, 2005

WashingtonPost.com Interview

The Washington Post's scheduled interview with Clay about UNICEF is now up. The interview was 'live' via a tape-delayed feed. You can listen to it here, or download by right clicking and selecting save target as here.

A few recaps from the interview via Clayboard members.

  • New CD will be out in the first 6 months of 2006
  • Interview was taped from Vancouver, BC where the tour starts in 2 days.
  • Team Clay still out looking for good songs for the new album
  • Talked extensively about Uganda and Indonisia UNICEF trips.
  • Said trips touched him deeply.
  • Asked about whether Clay would adopt a child, like Angelina Jolie has and Clay said he wouldn't rule it out.
  • Clay talked to a singer-songwrite Steve Curtis Chapman who visited Uganda this past August about writing a song for Clay's new album.
Full transcript. Many thanks to the nicegurrrl from the CB who took the time to transcribe this for Clayfans.
This is Rocky Fisch from the WashintonPost.com newsroom speaking with Clay Aiken, this year's UNICEF Ambassador.

WP: First question here from Dumphries, Virginia: You have said that your experience with UNICEF has been one of the greatest blessings you have had. Can you elaborate on that?

CA: You know, I think that probably for me, I would characterize it that way, because you know- I've had an opportunity- I've had too- so many opportunities I never thought I'd have before, obviously, with this whole new career being- living in a smaller town in North Carolina to all of a sudden living in LA and traveling all around the country, and performing and doing something that I love, but- More than that for me, it's really been that- working with UNICEF, being an ambassador with UNICEF, has given me- I mean, pftt, I am in Vancouver, Canada today - and to me (laughs)- that was you know that was the furthest I'd ever leave the US before my experience with UNICEF. And having an opportunity to - not really just go and visit a different county, because I think, you know, visiting a different country on a vacation is one thing, but doing what I've had the opportunity to do, where you actually get to see how people live, and you get to see situations and - you know, being right there in Banda Aceh right after the tsunami was an amazing experience, an extremely eye-opening experience. You know, to go from small town America where you don't have any view of the outside world, really (laughs) and then to the celebrity lifestyle, I guess, if you want to call it that, where you are somewhat catered to in a way. And then, to come out and go to a place like Indonesia or Uganda where people really have to- I mean, not only is the lifestyle completely different, but you know it gives you an opportunity to take a look at what you have, and- it sounds very cliché to say it, but you take a look at what you have and what opportunities that I have as an American and what opportunities I have in this country, and it gives you such a worldly- a different view of (WP: Yes) - of your own life, not just the people who you are working with or observing and seeing live, it really - I think that more than that it has given me a different view of myself and my life as an American. I know that sounds extremely cliché and I hate to use it, but that's really been the largest benefit for me.

WP: Clay, when you go to these places, and you've been to many, exactly what do you do? I mean, is it basically observing, finding out what the people need or what has happened or what?

CA: That is pretty much what the purpose of an ambassador is. You know, I grew up knowing about UNICEF only because it was, you know, the trick-or-treat program (laughs), but that you raise money. I knew it was a United Nations program and - you know, for a while there, it was actually called the United Nations Children's Emergency Fund, and so my impression of it was that it only went into emergency situations. But the truth is, now it's United Nations Children's Fund, and a very few people - while they know what UNICEF is, and in a very general way know what UNICEF does, they don't really know specifically what it is that UNICEF does -

WP: And what does UNICEF do?

CA: You know, UNICEF works in 157 different countries throughout the world; not just in emergency situations - obviously they are on the forefront of emergency situations like the earthquake in Pakistan, or the tsunami in Southeast Asia. They work on child nutrition, they work on child welfare in general - welfare of children and women in third-world countries and even in developed countries, because we worked in the US after Katrina - all over the world, to keep children safe, to keep them educated, make sure they're educated appropriately, make sure they're fed, make sure they're kept healthy. And so the job, to answer your question, of an ambassador, really, is to go and observe, and then I have the opportunity to come back and do things like this - and interview and discuss with people what I've seen. The work that was done after tsunami, you know - (interrupted)

WP: And spread the word in other words -

CA: I'm sorry?

WP: Spread the word.

CA: Yeah, in a way. And, fortunately for me, my very first assignment, I guess if you will, was right after the tsunami, and I had the opportunity to actually thank people for the work that they had done, as opposed to coming out and asking them for money. Tsunami was such a major fund recipient from US donors that it was an opportunity for me to actually go for my first trip and take a look at what UNICEF is doing with the money. Instead of saying, this is what they're doing, here is what they're trying to do, here's what they need to do- this is what they have done with your money, thank you for what you've given, and let me show you and let me tell you first hand how it's being put to work and how your money is making a difference. So that was kind of an interesting - a neat opportunity.

WP: This from Vanport, PA: Is it true that UNICEF will be donating half of the money collected from trick-or-treat to the victims of hurricane Katrina?

CA: It is. It's the very first time-

WP: And Rita, by the way.

CA: Ok. It's the very first time that they've actually worked in the US. UNICEF has a mandate to work in countries where their help is needed and asked for by the government, and as a generous country that we are, you know, we typically don't take out of the coffers of UNICEF. We've never taken out of UNICEF's coffers before because we don't usually have that need, have that great a need, obviously when there is a greater need elsewhere. So, UNICEF never worked in the US, but obviously with the tragedy for Katrina, the US government has asked for UNICEF to help out, and it's - and so this is the very first time, and they will be given 50%. Fifty percent of the proceeds from this year's trick-or-treat fund will go to hurricane relief efforts in the gulf states.

WP: Any idea how much you expect collect tonight in those UNICEF bags?

CA: I really have- I really don't have any idea (laughs). You know, I think this year- this has been a tragic year with tsunami- people giving to tsunami, right up through the beginning of this year from last's year tsunami, and then obviously the devastating hurricanes. I've, you know, lived through a few hurricanes myself, but none the magnitude of this year's storms- "s" storms. So this has been kind of a tragic year, and so many people in the US have really given a lot this year to different causes. And, for that purpose, you know, we hope to raise money- and I'll be completely honest with you, I'm not a very good spokesperson because I don't know how much we raised last year, (laughs) but it is - one of UNICEF USA's biggest fundraiser of the year is trick-or-treat. And, you know, we hope that people are able to at this point still give to the cause this year, and realize that even though half of it will go to Katrina, half of it is going, again to - to, you know, the 157 countries that UNICEF works in.

WP: Are you planning to go to New Orleans?

CA: Oh, you know, I kind of opted not to. I think that - at this- at least, not yet. I think that at the time that the storm hit, there was very little need for me to go down there as far as - you know, to be in the way. I kind of disenfranchised a little bit, if I'm being completely honest, with a lot of the celebrity activity down there, which- you know, I feel like my greatest- asset- if you will- or the greatest benefit for me doing something like this, is like I said, in Uganda - when I went to Uganda and had the opportunity to come back and discuss, or talk to people about what's happening in Uganda, what UNICEF is doing. When I take a trip to Indonesia and had a specific purpose, it usually is to come back and talk about what's happening down there, what people can do to help, what people have done to help, what UNICEF is doing to help. And, obviously, for Katrina, there was so much attention down there anyway, I think that a lot of- in my very personal opinion, I think a lot of people went down there for the wrong reasons. I don't think that there was really a need to bring attention to Katrina when the news outlets and the media was really doing that quite well on their own, and I felt that a lot of celebrities went down there for self-serving purpose and it kind of disenfranchised me, so I made a very pointed effort not to go down there. You know, if there is at some point a time where I feel like I could do something that would be beneficial and wouldn't be (laughs) self-serving, I think I might go, but until that time I've kind of opted to not be in the way, and allow the people who are experts in doing what they do best to do it- (interrupted/unintelligible)

WP: Clay, from Millersville, PA, someone writes here: I really respect your energy and involvement with students. Any ideas on how we parents, teachers, can help today's young generation become socially conscious adults who will be active in global issues and concerns?

CA: You know, I was actually just talking about this with a friend recently. I think that as adults- as students today, sadly, don't know what is going on in their own world. And I know as a highschooler myself, and as a college student, there was zero, really, educational opportunities, if you will, in high school or in college, to really take a- to learn about current events. You know, we spend a lot of time on Constantinople and the Ottoman Turks and (laughs) whatnot, but very little on modern American History, modern World History, and that's where you really learn, I think, to be a world citizen. That, and on the news. I mean, I think children should be encouraged to pay attention to the news and to know what is going on in their own world. I think it's really important that the youth of today- highschoolers, college students - know what's happening in the real world. I think honestly, and as an educator myself I'm probably going to get chewed out by some fellow educators (laughs). I may lose some credibility as a teacher, but you know, I think a lot of times we spend too much time on superfluous book-work: calculus, (laughs) statistics for high schoolers, you know, and world civilization history, and not enough on what's happening in our world. And so it's one thing to be very educated and to know what happened in 1164 in the Turkish empire, but it's completely something more important to know what happened in the US in 2006 or 2005 or 2004 or 7- or, you know, to know what is happening in your world today. And kids don't have that opportunity as much anymore, and kids don't - they're not interested in it. And, you know, I'll watch the news like it's a religion, to be honest with you (laughs). I know it's on constantly, because if you don't know what's happening in your- you know, if you don't what's going on today with the Supreme Court, or if you don't appreciate the importance of Rosa Parks and what she did for this country, and what she did for people all over this nation, then you don't really know what's- you're not a very worldly person. That to me- and I've kind- I feel like I've gotten on a soapbox right here because I (laughs) just was talking about it yesterday, but it's an interesting question to ask right now.

WP: Clay, from New Orleans, a question: Will any of the music on your next CD reflect any of your experiences in Indonesia, Uganda, Banda Aceh?

CA: We- we're still putting the next album together, and you know, that was- that's not- I definitely could not give a definitive answer right now about that because we - we are still working on songs and trying to find out, or compile, you know, the album itself. But it's not outside of the realm of possibility. You know, there's - my trip to Uganda was probably the most powerful thing I've ever experienced. You know, I mean, as far as emotions go, there's no end to the emotions that surge through you when you are seeing something like that. And ironically, a songwriter who I admire quite a bit, I spoke to before I went to Uganda and found out that he was actually going to be in Uganda at the very same time. His trip got moved back later, but he was going to be in Uganda this summer as well, too, because he was going to- with a different organization- to observe the same thing I had observed, and we had discussed- we had discussed for a while the possibility of trying to put something, or - he's the talented one there- put something down that relates to what happened. But I'm not 100% sure, so I can't give a definitive answer on that.

WP: Ok, any idea when your next one might come out?

CA: (laughs) Lord, I can't give a definitive answer on that one either! (Still laughing). We'd love to have it out- we want to have it out in the first half of next year, and that's - whooo, way too broad I'm sure- of a statement, but its pretty - that's about what I can offer right now (laughs) as far as an answer to that.

WP: Question from Brooklyn, New York: Would you ever consider adopting a child from Asia or Africa to raise as your own as a single parent as Angelina Jolie did?

CA: Wow! I couldn't say no to that, but I- you know, it's not - like I said, it's not something that is in the forefront of my mind right now. You know, I think it takes a very special person to adopt a child, and it takes even more of a special person to take on such a task as a single parent.

WP: And one final thing. Do you plan on watching the new season of American Idol in January?

CA: Oh, I hope to be too busy (laughs) but I typically try to turn it on when I can.

WP: Ok, Clay Aiken, thank you very much for speaking with us today.

CA: Thank you very much.

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF