CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Monday, September 13, 2004

Clay's next goal: 'Animated Movie'

ARTICLE HERE

Clay Aiken has had quite an eventful year and a half. After being named runner-up during American Idol's 2003 season, he released a top-selling album and toured the country with first-season winner, Kelly Clarkson. Now, he adds animated character to his list of involvements. In Disney's Special Edition DVD of the hit 1992 movie Aladdin, Clay Aiken lends his voice to one of the bonus features -- a music video in which Aiken sings the deleted song "Proud of Your Boy" (the video features Aiken singing the song in the studio, as well as the original Aladdin storyboards). Here, he speaks to Child about the song, his favorite films, and what his life has been like since American Idol ended.

Q: Tell us a little bit about the song "Proud of Your Boy," which was written by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman.
A: In the original script, there was a whole deleted storyline where Aladdin had a mother. And in this song, he's saying, "I may screw up at everything, but I'm going to do my best to make my mother proud because I love her so much." Alan Menken taught me the song and helped me understand where he was coming from when they wrote it. He was in the studio the day I recorded the song and it made him very proud that we could do this in honor of Howard Ashman's memory [Ashman died in 1991].

Q: Does the song have a special meaning for you?
A: It's a nice parallel to my own life. My singing career is something my mom dreamed of me doing much longer than I did.

Q: What was it like working on a Disney film?
A: I always thought it would be so cool to be the voice of a Disney character. When I was growing up, it was one of those things I never thought I would be famous enough to actually do. When I got the call asking me to sing the song, I said yes. My next goal is to do a full animated movie.

Q: What are some of your favorite animated films?
A: I always loved Disney stuff. My favorite is The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Q: Tell us about your charity, the Bubel/Aiken Foundation.
A: Before American Idol, I was a college student majoring in special education. For a long time, I saw kids turned away from activities and programs because they had disabilities. The goal of my foundation is to include kids with disabilities in after-school programs, camp programs, and extra-curricular activities so they can participate just like everyone else.

Q: What has your life been like since American Idol ended?
A: A little bit hectic! Every day I'm doing something new and different. I can't go anywhere without people noticing me -- even with a hat on!

Q: Any advice for kids who dream of doing what you did someday?
A: Every single person in my position has a story about someone who told them that they couldn't do it. My advice for kids is to always believe in yourself, persevere, and don't let people change you.

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF