CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Clay Reflects on Stardom, Talks About JNT with St. Paul Pioneer Press

Well, bless his little aiken, breakin' heart, plus club notes
BY ROSS RAIHALA
Pioneer Press music critic

Beyond a summer tour and his round of holiday gigs -- he plays Northrop Auditorium on Monday -- Clay Aiken has largely stayed out of the public eye this year.
But don't think people have forgotten him.
"I was in Vancouver, Canada, and I went out with some friends to this community Halloween bonfire thing on a beach," said the "American Idol" star during a recent phone interview. "And lo and behold, 15 minutes after I get there, I had children coming up and taking my picture. It was very strange and kind of surreal. I mean, it was pitch black -- and I was in Canada.
"I expected it to happen after 'Idol,' and we all got very used to it. I thought the attention would (slow down), but it's fine it hasn't. I'm glad people are still interested in me."
Aiken was supposed to have a new studio disc out this year. What happened?
"We spent so little time recording the first album," Aiken said. "The song 'Invisible' actually got recorded in Minneapolis -- we kind of had to find time where we could to make the record. It was good, but it was rushed.
"So I wanted to take more time. I've listened to so many (potential songs), I want to pull the best out of a big crop and be happy with the outcome. It'll probably come out in the first part of next year, but the goal really was to take our time and do it right."
Aiken's concert Monday is based on his disc "Merry Christmas With Love." It's his second holiday-themed tour, although his inaugural trip last year didn't include a stop in the Cities.
"Everybody sings Christmas songs, so what's going to get people to come out and see me sing Christmas songs? I wanted to figure out a way to make it different and new, so I sat down in my pajamas one day and wrote a script that ties the songs together.
"I hired my old high school choir teacher and a little boy out of Raleigh to play the lead characters, and their story connects all these songs. It's not necessarily a play, and I'm not part of the action -- we're really the soundtrack to these vignettes.
"It's very heartwarming. By the end of the concert, everybody in the audience had better be crying. I wrote it, and I still get the chills."
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Aiken said he'd like his holiday shows to become an annual tradition. (Christmas shows are money in the bank -- just ask Lorie Line.)
"We encourage people to dress up and wear your Sunday best," Aiken said. "The crew even dresses up. It's a great way to finish the year and say thanks to the fans for supporting us."

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF