CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Minneapolis Concerts - My Review


I just returned from my trip to Minneapolis to see Clay in two Christmas concerts. So for your reading pleasure (I hope its pleasurable), here is my summary of that trip...the good and the bad, and Clay's concerts...the awesome!

My plane didn't leave till 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, so I had to go to work all....day....long. Its hard to work when you know you will be leaving to see Clay soon. Thankfully, I work not far from the airport, so I got there in about 15-20 minutes with traffic. I got to the airport in plenty of time to even stop and get a bite to eat. So it was nice and leisurely for a change. No rushing to catch a flight because I'm running late.

I walked down to my gate (which somehow always manages to be the last one). We started loading not real long after I got there. Now, I have a chronic lung condition that means I have breathing problems on occasion. When I got on the plane, it was HOT, I mean hot, humid, and stuffy. For whatever reason, the air was not working unless the plane was in motion (it did cool down later on). I was already having a difficult time with my breathing, so this just made it worse. I got to my seat, sat down a little while, but kept feeling as though I couldn't breath. So I told one of the flight attendants my dilemma...that because of a lung condition I have and because of the heat on the plane, I was having a little trouble breathing. Did they have oxygen I could use until the plane cooled down. Well, she started checking my pulse (which she never could find -- guess she thought I was the living dead sitting there), felt me and said I was hot, and went to get another flight attendant. This was drawing attention from the other passengers. I wished I hadn't said anything, but too late. Meanwhile, the plane started backing up and moving toward the runway. The attendants started asking me questions, and I told them about my lung problem and that as soon as it cooled off I'm sure I'd be fine.

All of a sudden the captain announces over the loud speaker that they have a problem so they have to go back to the gate. I'm hoping I'm not the problem. Pretty soon, some guy from the airline comes walking down the aisle to me and asks me about how I am. I told him the same stuff I had already told everyone else. He said that the captain was probably going to ask me to leave the plane. I said, "What! You've got to be kidding! I travel with this condition all the time! The problem was that it was so hot in here. I'll be fine once it cools off." I'm thinking, "Hey, don't ever tell a Clay fan on their way to a Clay concert that they have to get off the plane!!" He then says he is going to go talk to the captain and walks back down the aisle. It hit me that they are talking about me and that the captain needs to know exactly what the problem is. So I walked down the aisle too. I wanted to tell the Captain, "Sir, don't you understand, I'm headed to a Clay Aiken concert. Even if I did faint on the plane, I've thudded and fainted many a time from seeing my man up close and personal. Please, sir, going to Clay concerts is the single most important event that there is." Instead, I told him again what the problem was and that I fly all the time and have never had a problem because it has never been hot like that. Thankfully, he changed his mind, and I wanted to get down and kiss his feet..."Thank you sir, thank you for not taking my Clay concert away from me!" Instead I just went back and shrank into my seat, wishing people would quit looking at me, and knowing I'd never make this mistake again!

Anyway, all went well during the flight, except for the lady who kept kicking the back of my seat ON PURPOSE every time I moved in my seat because she said I was hitting her knees. I didn't make a big deal about that because I was already on the captain's naughty list, I'm sure. But now I know about how Clay feels about being purposely beaten on when you weren't doing anything you were aware of.

My friend was waiting in a different terminal in Minneapolis and her terminal was about 5-10 minutes away. So the Super Shuttle picked me up and then we drove over and picked her up. Now, I think me and my friend (from here on out known as "K")were really in 2 different cities, because she thought it was SOOOOOOOO TERRIBLY COLD, and I thought it was "SO WONDERFULLY COLD"! It felt so good. Breathing in that cool crisp air instead of Houston's warm steamy air. It took maybe 15-20 minutes to get us to our hotel, The Hyatt Regency. Two of our other friends were also staying there. Clay, however, was staying in the Hilton we heard. Bummer.

I had sent in 2 stories for Clay's contest, and had high hopes for at least one of the stories. I figured I was 35,000 feet in the air when, if it was chosen, I would get the email about it. So when I landed in MN, I called a friend who I had gotten to check my email for me, but nothing. She checked for me for the next 2 days, in addition to me checking as well, but I didn't get chosen. I was a little down about that at first, but finally got over it...sort of.

The walk to Orchestra Hall where Clay was performing was only about 2 blocks, but it was brrrr cold. I mean COLD!! Probably in the single digits or so. I had a coat, but it wasn't a real heavy coat. I had oxygen sent to the Hyatt to use for the walk to the Hall, and I am so glad I did. For whatever reason, going to the venue, I had a really hard time breathing both nights, even with the oxygen. Coming back, I did okay. Maybe it was knowing I was about to see Clay "Mr. Take Your Breath Away" Aiken live and up close that did it to me!!

In the lobby of Orchestra Hall was a long banner hanging from the ceiling with pictures of upcoming performers. And Clay was at the very top of that banner! We had been looking outside for a picture of Clay advertising his performance and never could find one, to our dismay. We were quite pleased to finally see this awesome banner with a gorgeous picture of Clay.

Our seats the first night were in Row 8, Seats 1 and 3, right on the aisle closest to the middle. Second night they were the same seats but in Row 9. They were fantastic seats. We had a perfect view of everyone on the stage. It was one time I was glad I wasn't on the second or third row, where the view of Clay was blocked in some sections by the piano. I'm not sure I understand why they had Clay set up behind Jesse. He's the main attraction, so I think he should have been in front of everyone and closer to the audience. But, who knows why they did it they way they did.

Clay sang beautifully both nights. That voice just melts my heart and then sends it soaring. I've never heard such a beautiful voice, ever. His version of "Oh Holy Night" is the best I've ever heard. His version of Jingle Bells was fun!! Kinda jazzy. I loved it!! Mary Did You Know was beautiful as always, although I like it sung a little less slow like on the CD. IBHFC just brought tears to your eyes. Oh my, it made you get a lump in your throat, it was so touching. DSIAFCD was amazing! The first night, he hit the note spot on, but then it cracked a little before he got back right on the note. Still it was amazing. The second night, he hit and held it perfectly! K and I were both leaning forward holding on for dear life before he hit it. I sort of know how those of you who went to Merrillville last year felt. Not exactly, because the miss wasn't the same. But still, you're sitting there knowing there is that .5% chance he might miss it and holding your breath that he won't. The crowd went crazy that second night when he hit the note. I mean crazy, and absolutely came unglued during the cheers before the encore. I mean, the roof almost came off because of the loud cheering!! AIW was perfect both nights. He hit those notes and, well, there are no words. The last night especially I was in tears. I knew it was all over for a while, and crazy as it might be, I already started missing him. We look forward to weeks, even months, to seeing him again, and then you turn around twice, and its over with. He hits that last note, he bows, he walks off the stage, and he's gone. *SIGH* What that man does to us. What is it? Why is it? Its hard, if not impossible, to put into words the feelings we have for him and that he brings out in us. I'm sitting here shaking my head because I just can't figure it out.

Oh, Faye sat right in front of us about 4 rows up the first night and the second night she was a couple of rows up over to the right. I can't even count how many people came over there to get autographs and have their pictures made with her. Jerome even came over during the intermission to see if she wanted to come back stage, but she stayed. She was so sweet and gracious to everyone, even kneeling down to 2 little girl's level for pictures (Kel saw this, I didn't). The last night, after the show as over, I went over and talked with her briefly. While she was signing something for someone, I looked up, and there sitting by her was Jaymes Foster!! It shocked me, I wasn't expecting that! I probably acted like an idiot. I kind of pointed to her and said, "Oh, you're Jaymes!" She nodded her head and said, "And you are...." I told her my name. Then I told her that we were all excited about the new CD. She said that they were working hard on it. I told her I loved all his CD's, covers or new songs, I loved them all, it didn't matter to me as long as he was singing them! Jaymes seemed very nice. I made a comment to Faye about them going to Mexico and she kind of lit up and said, "Yes, please pray for us" and I said I would. And that was that.

K and I walked down to the Target Center on Thursday afternoon before the second concert. Now, downtown MN is wonderful! There are these quaint little shops all lined up like they came from "Its A Wonderful Life". There was old snow everywhere, but still stacked up a foot tall here and there. SNOW!! You know, that white stuff we never get in Houston!! Yes Virginia, there is snow!! We saw a snow angel along the way and K took a picture of it. She accused me of pushing Clay in the snow for that (can't you see his arms flailing around everywhere to make those angel wings!!). Actually, the truth is that Clay pushed ME into the snow! Shame on you Clay!!! ;) Oh, there were lights everywhere that were just beautiful at night. My favorite were these two-toned blue lights used to decorate a tree. It just all looked and felt and smelled like Christmas. And there was this neat ice skating rink right next to the theater. I fell in love with DT MN!!

What am I leaving out? Probably something. I missed bantering Clay. He said a couple of funny things when introducing everyone, but I forget what they were now. I wish he had moved around some on the stage and not stayed in one spot. But whatever, he was awesomely wonderful. That voice, oh that voice.

Oh, one more thing. I bought Clay a Christmas ornament and gave it to Jerome to give to him. I looked and looked for Jerome to come out, and had about given up when there he was! I had to make my way through the mob of people around Faye to get to him. I gave him an envelope from 2 other friends for Clay and then gave him my box and note for Clay (okay K, so it was a novel..hehe). I told Jerome that my gift was breakable so please don't let Clay sit on it. He laughed. I told him he was so sweet and what would we do w/o him. He said, "Give your things for Clay to Jesse?" We both laughed. He is so nice. There's the "stern don't get near Clay" Jerome, and then there is the sweet laughing funny Jerome. Big hugs to Jerome! I hope Clay liked my ornament.

What a wonderful trip it was to Minneapolis to see two glorious Clay concerts. The concerts are never long enough, nor is the time spent in the cities where he sings. But I'm sure you are thinking this review is long enough, so I'll end it now!!

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF