CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Monday, May 21, 2007

American Idol 2 - Remembering Clay's Performances - Top 2


May 22, 2007...This is the night for the AI6 Final 2 to show America one more time just how good they are and why they should win. This is the night they hope to save their best for last. And speaking of "this is the night"...anyone remember hearing that song for the first time on Tuesday, May 20, 2003? Little did we know how many copies that song would sell or that it was the beginning of a career for Clay that has been much more than that of a singer, but also that of an entertainer, actor, and humanitarian. And little did Clay know that his fans, the Claymates, would from that day on become arguably the most devoted fans a celebrity has ever had.

It was a showdown between Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard. The whole country was buzzing over who would win. That night, the first song was the original song that was chosen for each finalist by the show, and that was "This Is The Night" for Clay. Clay walked out looking so handsome in that dark suit. And he didn't disappoint as he began to sing. That voice just soared when he sang the chorus. He added those deep knee bends that I've come to love! I remember when he finished the song, he let out a big sigh and had a big smile on his face, as though he was thinking, "Whoo, I did it, I did okay!" Well, he did more than okay. And that song has grown to have so much meaning today. It was the beginning of many great things to come.



The second song was to be a Beatles song. Clay chose "Here, There, and Everywhere", which has always been a personal favorite of mine since I was a kid. Clay was sitting on a stool accompanied by a harp. He sang a simple, pure version. He just let his gorgeous voice and the words compliment each other. Nothing fancy was necessary. When you have a voice like Clay and are singing a song like that, that's all you need for something spectacular. And when he sang "there" the first time, going down to that low note, I could feel it in my toes. Just beautiful.



Finally, the last song was a song of Clay's choice. He chose "Bridge Over Troubled Waters", a Simon and Garfunkel song which again, I always loved growing up. I remember being so nervous during this song. The judges were not jumping up and down over his first two songs. I really wanted this one to knock their socks off. I'll never forget Clay walking out on stage, just calmly, slowly walking out on stage up to the microphone. And the choir moving with the music. And then out came that voice...smooth, deep, pure, mellow. When he went down to those low notes, it sent shock waves through me. I asked my son to help me come up with words to describe those low notes, and my son, teenager that he is, said, "Deep? Full? Manly? Hunka hunka? I want a chunk of that?" Well, he was being silly, but I think he might have something there! And the only thing that tops those notes is that to-die-for glory note at the end. I remember listening to BOTW over and over and over again. I don't think any of us could get enough of that song! Paula was right when she said, "You sent chills down us, Clay", and Simon was also right when he said, "I think that song could win you the competition".... coulda woulda shoulda. But the difference in the votes was so miniscule, that I think he was a winner...the winner in my book.



Though, as we all know and still hurt over, Clay didn't win the title of American Idol on the show, but he went on to show us what a true American Idol is, and he continues to show us to this day. And what is that? Well, here are some quotes from Clay that pretty much sum it all up:

Clay's on his definition of an Americal Idol: "American celebrities have an amazing amount of influence on the way America thinks, feels, and acts. I think that such an influence should be used in the most positive way possible."

And:

"Someone with a talent that leaves a mark on American society and inspires people to think, feel, love, act."

"I enjoy singing and that's what I'm here to do. I know I'm not a model; I'm not going to be. I'm not the best lookin' person here, and that's fine. That's not what it's about to me."

On the pressures of being in the public eye: "...as long as you're living right, then you don't have to worry about what people see."

"It's not the money. It's not the fame. It's the influence."

"It's important that I make a difference in some way. If it's performing and touching someone that way, that's great; if it's being a teacher and helping some kid understand something, that's even better..."

"One of the first things I'm gonna do is set up a foundation. Since I'm not going to be teaching for a while, I'd still like to stay connected and use this platform to bring attention to autism awareness and to individuals with disabilities."

"What comes out of this is what God wants to happen."
I think Clay hit the nail right on the head as to what an American Idol is...what he wanted to be in his life. And he continues to stand by those very words he spoke four years ago. Clay was a winner, is a winner, always will be a winner. He is definitely our American Idol.


0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF