CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Clay Calls Idol a "Drug", Reveals Plans of New Album in New People Interview

People Magazine has published a new interview with Clay conducted last week at the Champions of Change TBAF gala. in the interview Clay says he's planning another album "soon". While this is certainly good news, I think it comes without saying that Clay's definition of "soon" is not exactly the same as ours. ;)

Here's an excerpt:

Have you been keeping up with this season's American Idol?
It's the first year I haven't watched it.

Why is that?
Just don't want to. Too much stress for me. I don't know, I just always get stressed out when I watch it.

Do you have a new album in the works?
We are going to be going out on tour this summer. And we're actually looking into making another album pretty soon. This time we're going to do something more creative. And so I'm excited about that, 'cause I'm looking forward to having a little more free reign than I've had in the past. Each time I've done an album, I've had a little more creative control over what happens.

What would you recommend to Idol contestants about making the most of their fame?
I think that where I am today is a direct result of God's plan to put me in each place in my life. Find something that you are passionate about that gives back to your community. I think there's a misconception that really upsets me when people say, "If you're in the public eye you have an obligation to let me know when you're gettin' married, who you're gettin' married to and who you're dating." That's bull. But you do have an obligation to be a role model. From the beginning, I realize I got this only because God wanted me to be here. I think anybody who has any microphone to use who doesn't use it for the benefit of those around him is remiss.
The founder of EddieTheDawg.org who started the Six Degrees TBAF fundraiser was also contacted by People last week:
And I know you are having a great time with it! Until something became public, it was inappropriate for me to discuss it on the boards, but here is a little side blip to add to the People Magazine coverage of the Gala and Clay.

About a week or so ago, the New York People office contacted me to get in touch with whoever was running the Gala facility setup. She had one of my press releases that talked about the Gala and the SixDegrees.org competition. She had been out to the EddieTheDawg.org Website and asked me a few questions, and then she told me they were covering the Gala and she wanted to know if there was going to be a red carpet area for press. That would have been fun, I think! She said they were wanting to have a one-on-one with Clay and cover the Gala. I was not certain at that time if the one-on-one was already arranged. I gave her the contact information for TBAF and let her know that Aron Hall was the place to start.

The next day an assigned correspondent, Constance Richards, called me. She had gotten my contact information from NY. She had visited awAikening.org and was particularly interested in a feature I had on the home page entitled "What's New With Clay Aiken UNICEF Ambassador" -- so we briefly talked about Clay's humanitarian interests and I told her I would send her the links from any official Websites such as TBAF and UNICEF and the contact information for these organizations so she can complete her legwork. Yes...as I suspected from the first contact in NY, this was to be coverage of humanitarian Clay and anything else he mentioned during the interview.

Constance then sent me an email which I passed onto Aron. I was particularly pleased that Constance was assigned to this story, because I sensed from the beginning she would write an interesting and perhaps revealing and personal piece. In her email she said the one-on-one was already setup, and that she was to write about the Gala, TBAF and "other charitable endeavors." She needed TBAF to "enable People Mag. to cover the event and shine light on Clay's involvement with these worthy causes." She had not realized that Clay was a UNICEF Ambassador, which struck her in that she commented, "We hear about Angelina Jolie, why not Clay?"

To which I replied, "Well, you have that right!"

She has written much more than is online in the above article, so I am hoping there will be more, perhaps in the print publication or as future articles. If I hear anything that I can mention, I will let you know.

I have a lot of media visiting EddieTheDawg.org because it supports several celebrities and many foundations. I worked with People Magazine a bit during the AI Season 5 Live Tour when they spent days with the Yamin family and covered our Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation events in Richmond and Los Angeles. But they were a different group than the people who usually cover Clay, and Constance has never covered Clay before, usually she covers NC and SC. The person usually covering this beat was out on assignment and it was apparently important to NY that the Gala was covered.

The only other thing to add here is that she interviewed Clay upstairs I believe between dinner and the show. She did not come with a photographer. She was able to stay to watch all of the show -- how could she leave that early! -- and then she had only a few hours to meet her editorial deadline before driving home.

She and I talked while we were both enroute back home Sunday afternoon. She enjoyed the show, she loves what TBAF is all about, and I think her experience was wonderful. Isn't it always.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Someone pointed out your post about EddieTheDawg (that is me) and there is something at the beginning that is not correct and I wonder if you can please change this -- although it is complimentary! LOL!

It says, "The founder of EddieTheDawg.org who started the Six Degrees TBAF fundraiser was the one who got People Magazine to attend Clay's Champions of Change gala." I helped them, but I am fairly certain that the NY People office already had made the arrangement to have a one-on-one with Clay. They just had no clue how to go about getting into the TBAF Gala -- or who to talk to about it.

Thanks! Love your blog - will keep linking to it from awAikening.org

Steffanie


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF