CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Friday, August 12, 2005

Fayetteville Online Weekender Responds to E-mails from Claymates RE: Negative Cary Review

Stacy Peterson, a staff writer at the Fayetteville Online Weekender, responded to the 46 e-mails sent to her in the wake of her negative review of the Cary concert:

Clay must be doing something right
By Stacy Peterson
Staff writer

Opening my work e-mail Friday morning was a little like stepping on a yellow jacket nest.

ZZzzzzzt.

Ouch.

They came from all directions: New Jersey, San Francisco, Dallas, Missouri, Chicago, Arkansas and here in North Carolina.

And they all stung.

I was being attacked with electronic messages from 46 Clay Aiken fans - and counting.

I was called stupid, crazy, nuts and one e-mailer wondered if I was from Mars. Maybe.

The jabs were in response to a preview story about Aiken's concert a week ago in Cary.

"Mr. Peterson - how very disappointing to read your article on Clay Aiken...." began one e-mail. She was being nice.

You probably know Aiken as the 2003 "American Idol" TV show finalist who has gone on to build a large and loyal fan base.

My story looked at how his concert tickets were selling much slower than his last visit to his hometown of Raleigh.

I interviewed an editor at Rolling Stone Magazine and the editor of Pollstar, a concert industry publication. One thought Aiken's appeal may be cooling. The other said he is fine. Aiken fans saw the story as cursing the name of Clay.

They all had arguments as to why tickets sold slower: No new album, time away from the spotlight, an outdoor venue, ticket prices.

One fan, an 80-year-old woman, said she had seen Aiken 90 times.

Many also assured me that if I went to the concert, I would change my tune.

I went and I admired Aiken's vocal talent.

But was there a "Clayversion?"

No, I'm afraid not. But God bless him, he must be doing something right. His fans mean business.

Chance meeting

One great thing about the show was meeting Rod Edwards, who had performed in bands with Aiken.

Edwards plays guitar and backed up Aiken several times in Smithfield, Dunn, Benson and Garner.

"To me it's like my brother," he said. "I see him that way."

Stacy Peterson can be reached at petersons@fayettevillenc.com or 323-4848, ext. 384.

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF