CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Tidbits 1/2

  • IdolHeadEd has posted a great review of NBC's "Holiday Celebration on Ice" which featured Clay as the exclusive musical guest -
    IdolHeadEd writes
    Although I missed the first 10 minutes or so, what I saw was way better than his last NBC special and well worth an article. It doesn’t hurt that I like ice skating as well as Clay’s singing.

    My wife and I were always Clay fans and despite the recent negative press heaved upon him we still remain supporters and fans. So I was very eager to see what this show had in store for us. Unfortunately my wife will have to watch it on the DVR because she is stuck in upstate NY. She will be glad I recorded it. I know I am.

    I tried to see if I could find this on the NBC or Universal HD website so I could at least see the part I missed but could not find it. So I’ll just review what I saw with Clay and skip the skating to canned music parts.

    This was officially titled “The Capital One Holiday Celebration on Ice”. Universal titled it “Holiday Celebration with Clay Aiken”. It’s no surprise they chose to title it this way to capture a wider audience. I captured me. It was hosted by Tracey Wilson and Brian Boitano.

    Before we hear the first Clay number, we find out in an interview that this is the first time Clay has seen professional Ice skaters live. Maybe he meant these particular Ice skaters. I know the Ice Capades went through Raleigh sometime in his childhood. We also found out that he was nervous for the skaters when they practiced together for the first time.

    Todd Eldridge is the first skater I saw Clay sing with. I know it wasn’t the first in the show because in his interview vignette, I saw him singing “Don’t Save it All for Christmas Day” with Shae-Lynn Bourne. Sorry I missed that but I’m going to give it a 10 because you know it had to be. Anyway, I’m not really into guy skaters but with Clay’s magical take on a song I’ve never heard I think called “All is Well”. It was a sight to behold. As Clay belted out those high notes the crowd rose to their feet with thunderous applause. I knew this was not going to be my grandma’s Christmas special. Fantastic! I hope this song is on Clay’s next Christmas CD.

    Next up would be my favorite singer/skater combination I could ever imagine; Sasha Cohen and Clay. Singing “The Christmas Song” to Sasha’s beautiful movement on the ice was mesmerizing. As she skated with perfection Clay sang with perfection. It was one wonderful performance and the crowd again agrees with a standing ovation. Me too. It couldn’t get any better.

    Next up was Philippe Candeloro be bopping to Clay’s peppy rendition of “Sleigh Ride”. With more athletic moves than Todd, Philippe made it more entertaining for me. Clay of course was great. He got as much camera time as Philippe.

    Next Clay sings another of my favorites from his Christmas CD, “Merry Christmas With Love” to the skating of married duo, Jenni Meno and Todd Sand. This was so touching. It’s a great thing to hear Clay sing this classic by himself but the added visuals of this couple skating was something I can not describe adequately. We actually see Jenni and Todd afterwards with their two kids and it adds an even more of an emotional touch. Just beautiful!

    We then get to see a short vignette on Clay’s trip to Uganda through UNICEF. Clay looked quite different sporting a beard.

    We are now treated to a second helping of Clay and Sasha and this one is even better if that’s possible. Singing “Winter Wonderland”, Clay and Sasha give this classic new life. It seems to me that Clay and Sasha were best of friend during this show. She gave him the most attention as he did her. I’m thinking she has to be a Clay fan. I’m also thinking Clay, like the Idolhead, is a Sasha fan. Together they made this show a winter wonderland. Another one for the vault.

    The show ends with Clay singing another of my favorites from his Christmas CD “What are you Doing New Year’s Eve? At this point I think to myself that Clay must have read my review of his CD because he did all but one of my favorites from the CD. Clay, Idolhead fan? Hmmmm....With the entire skating cast spilling onto the floor Clay gives another stellar performance. Blending some brilliant choreography with Clay’s vocals, all the skaters shined. With one last gesture, Sasha glides up to Clay and delivers a pair of ice skates as to say thank you. The rest of the skaters do their encore skate as Clay exits the stage with gift in hand. Upon his return to the ice, skates on, he is flanked by Sasha and Surya Bonaly. More for physical than moral support I suspect. As Clay said earlier in an interview, he won't be in the Ice Capades anytime soon.

    As I watched this show I felt I was witnessing Clay’s emergence as this generation’s Robert Goulet. His style does not really have a place in Pop music but much more suited to Adult Contemporary. He could easily host a musical variety show of his own on TV. But I feel he would do very well in Las Vegas. But for now his next stop is the Great White Way in his first Broadway musical “Spamalot”. I will be back in NY the beginning of February and will stop in on Clay and bring back my personal review of his performance. Be looking for it.

    No matter it doesn’t look like Clay will be fading away anytime soon much to his critics and detractors dismay. Especially if I and his fervent fans have anything to say about it. And when my wife gets home, I’ll have an extra Christmas present for her.

    Idolhead Ed
  • PRNewsWire - Sally Beauty Best Tressed(R) Survey reveals results ... not too flattering for Clay:
    Male Celebrity with the Worst Hairstyle in 2007
    2. Clay Aiken
CDD Blogwatch
  • Nothing here today

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF