CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Great Recap From Golfer Fan at Golf Tournament

We have already had some great recaps of the Golfing For Inclusion Tournament and Auction from people who were there. Here's another great one from Pam, one of the golfers who also happens to be a fan. I found this one at The Clayboard, and Pam said I could include it here in Clay's Daily Double. Thank you Pam!! You might also have heard that Pam was chosen by Wayne Player to be a part of his golf clinic! You'll read about that, Clay, Jerome, the auction, and many other grand adventures that took place for Pam at the Tournament.

So enough of the introduction...here is Pam's fantastic recap:

Hi all!

WHEW! Finally back in town from Florida!

First off, let me say we can be so happy and proud to support an artist like Clay Aiken! No matter what the media, etc may want to say about the "fans" of Clay Aiken, after seeing how well Clay handled himself with this charity function we can always be proud.

Second, as I said before, he was drop dead gorgeous!

Here is our group pic for starters. If you don't know me I am in the black top with white collar.(see above)

And this is how the day went for me:

From the minute I stepped onto the Country club grounds I was treated like any other golfer who was a member there. Having just had lessons for a little over two months, I was very surprised and felt honored.

I was greeted at the Club house by a gentleman who took my clubs and assured me they would be well taken care of! Directed to the registration area, I met Christy Barnes, Aron Hall and Diane Bubel. Then searched for my golf clubs only to find out they had already been placed in a golf cart ready to go, with my name on the cart along with the three other members of the team I would be golfing with. In the golf cart were water, extra golf towels, etc for each golfer.

I then took a few clubs and headed down to the driving range (buckets of balls were provided free of charge!) and practiced for about one hour.

Then the fun really began! Back in the club house a gourmet breakfast had been provided for all. Since I already had made sure I had breakfast, I simply asked for water and sat down at a table with a couple of other folks.

I had no idea the two people at the table were Leslie the reporter from the Palm Beach Post and her photographer. She asked me if she could interview me and ask some questions and so we have a very good chat and basically told her what many have already read. Then Leslie looked around and said to me: " he just walked in". I said "pardon?". She said "Clay just walked in". I said "really", rather astonished because I saw no entourage (sp?) of people. In fact, there was Clay and Mary, I believe just standing there with no one approaching them, which is is really odd as we know when Clay is in the house!

I actually felt kind of bad (this was not a Clay Aiken fan crowd per se) which was good because he actually gained a ton of new fans!

So I told Leslie I was going to get up and go over and say hello, and I did. I went over, introduced myself and Clay was his usual gracious and pleasant self and shook my hand and greeted me in return and I returned to my table.

I also saw Jerome and greeted him. He remembered me from the Virgin Megastore CD signing because he and I worked together to make sure fans with physical challenges were seen first that day, so it was pleasant reunion for us. However, in all honesty I did not expect any further contact with Clay or Jerome the rest of the day. I was looking forward to the Golf Clinic with Wayne Player as I have been big fan of his father, Gary Player for years.

Next, I headed outside to golf clinic and at that time there were only two other golfers there, both women. I introduced myself to Wayne Player (he is very funny) and he asked what I was learning so far in my golf lessons. We chatted for a few minutes, and others started to arrive.

All of sudden Clay, Mary and Jerome arrived as well! It was a surprise to me, as per the program only Wayne Player was going to be there. However, it was delightful to see Clay participate and he came over to us, and asked the two other women there if they lived locally and when when they told where they lived, then Clay pointed to me and said "I know you are not from here", I replied, kind of suprised he would know that , "no, I am from California" Clay continued to pleasantly banter with us and then asked all what our handicap was. When he got to me I told him laughing I didn't want to tell him and he replied back laughing I could not be as bad as him. We all had few more laughs and then the golf clinic began.

Little did I know that having just met Wayne Player for the first time, that he was going to include me in his golf clinic as a guinea pig!

First he used Clay and you have all seen the adorable pics of that and Clay was very funny! It was really cute! He made his usual signature funny faces and self-deprecating funny remarks and I could see the crowd there was really enjoying the clinic and Clay. Then to my surprise Wayne called to me and said " Pam! Come up here!".

OMG!!!

So I walked up on the grass to Wayne and he explained he was going to demonstrate one of the golf shots with me right there in the shot range! He positioned me as he wanted me to stand and told me to stay still and just stand there, and assured me I would not get hit by the golf shot.

Then Clay yelled out "wait a minute, do we have her check yet?" That snark brought a round of laughter from the crowd and a reply from me to Clay that "yes, you have my check already!", and more laughter from the crowd.

I quickly made the sign of the cross, pressed my hands in prayer position, closed my eyes and then covered my face! I think several in the crowd laughed at this display!

Wayne took the shot! It went by me so fast I could feel the air! I took a sigh of relief I still had my face, and while Wayne was describing what he had just done and why, I tiptoed ever so quietly on the grass behind him and tried to return to my spot! He saw me out of the corner of his eye, whirled around comically and said " Pam! Get back here!" My plan to escape was foiled! The crowd laughed and I had to be the guinea pig again as he put me through a similar demonstration like Clays. Then I was set free, Wayne thanked me and asked to crowd to give a hand of applause for my participation.

It was all in good fun and I really enjoyed the clinic, my participation and Clay being his usually funny, happy self.

I thought, ok, that was completely unexpected and great and did not expect to see Clay anymore until the evening festivities.

But to our surprise, Clay came around to each golfing group while we were out on the course! When he arrived at our hole he got out of the cart and announced he was there to have a pic done with our group. When he walked up on the green he immediately asked the members of our group if I had been behaving myself, because if not they could kick me out! We all laughed and had a wonderful pic with Clay! ( see above). As Clay walked back to the cart and I walked to pic up my clubs and he said to me in his snarky way " behave yourself!". I replied "oh come on, we want to have fun!". He turned and laughed and got on his way!

And this experience was absolutely fun!

As far as the rest of the day, the dinner was yummy, Clay sang like an angel and continued to look gorgeous to boot! I did not speak with him again but many others did and he made many new fans at this event!

Jerome however, did suprise me at the end of the evening and came over to me at my table and expressed pleasure at seeing me again and wished me a good evening. Jerome of course, like Clay, another class act!

There were many things that happened in my life last week that tried to prevent me from attending this wonderful event, however I am so glad I went!

And for those who may wonder, I will say right here and now there is absolutely no reason for me to apply for a future meet with Clay for upcoming concerts.

This was the ultimate meet and greet!!

I wish everyone who wants to will be able to experience meeting this wonderful artist and human being!

Pam

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan thanks for the great post. And Pam, That's awesome you got to hang out with him! I was really excited to FINALLY be in the same room with him on the 18th at the opening night of his Spamalot show. I bought tickets about .02 seconds after the press release announcing that he had been cast in the show, so they're great seats and I couldn't wait.

But now a family conflict came up and I'm not going to be able to get away and fly to NYC for the show. Major Bummer! I'm hoping some fan will buy my tickets, I listed them on eBay for sale. So if you know anyone who might want them...I'm only hoping to recoup what they've cost me. Orch-l row N,...check eBay if you're interested. It is going to be such a great night to see him! His stage debut is a historic moment for any claymaniac. Wish I could be there! :-( Maybe someday I'll have my greet like you wished us, Pam! Thanks again.

Happy Clay, err, New Year!
~Blue ♥


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF