CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Friday, December 30, 2005

Friends Get Opportunity Of A Lifetime at Boston JNT

Best friends perform with Clay Aiken from 'American Idol'
Friday, December 30, 2005

Michael Hammond and Paula Markowicz have been best friends since the age of five, and their 34 year friendship has led them to share many experiences

They first performed together in the musical "Gypsy" at Holbrook Junior/Senior High School, and after graduating in 1984, they continued performing.

"Our favorite show that we played opposite each other in was 'Ragtime' at the Company Theatre. We love to perform, but it is extra special when we get to perform together," Michael said.

The biggest opportunity came when they were both asked to perform on Dec. 6 at the Orpheum Theatre with Clay Aiken from the hit "American Idol" TV show.

"We watched 'American Idol' on television, and then I was on stage with one," Michael said

"It was a bit surreal to be in Boston on the Orpheum stage in the 'falling snow' singing Christmas songs, surrounded with the familiar voices of your friends, who are each remarkably talented individually. Then let's add the audience of 2,700 looking on, and as you look across the stage, you see that you are sharing it with someone you looked forward to watching and rooted for week after week on 'American Idol.' What a kick!" Paula said.

Walking into the Orpheum Theatre was amazing just knowing that my brother, who has performed all of his life, was given such a great opportunity.

The anticipation was overwhelming. As I handed the ticket to the usher and she found our seats, I saw my brother in the doorway waving. I couldn't stop smiling. I was so proud of him.

Her face described it all when Paula's daughter Deliah came running down the aisle, waving to us with a big smile. She was so excited to see her mom perform with Clay.

As I sat in the audience holding my son's hand, talking to my brother Neil, and looking at my ecstatic parents, I tried to sit still in my seat waiting for the show to start.

A young woman in front of me asked, "Are you related to someone in the show?" I answered proudly, "Yes, my brother. Michael Hammond."

Right away, the young woman started saying, "Michael is going to be directing 'Peter Pan,' my daughter is trying out on Friday, and he is also a great video photographer."

You want to talk about a proud moment: listening to someone talk so highly of your brother.

What a nice woman, but when she started to talk about her daughter, I could see something in her eye.

The woman said, "My daughter Sara is in the show also. She is 10, and she called me on the phone when she first met Clay. She said, 'I just shook Clay Aiken's hand, and I'm never washing my hand again.'"

I could see Sara's mother's eyes fill up, and I saw how proud she was of her daughter. It was such a beautiful moment.

The lights went down, and there dressed in white was Clay Aiken. The crowd cheered, but all I saw was my brother Michael smiling.

The show was amazing. Clay lit up the room with his outstanding voice, but it only got better at the end when Clay came out to talk to the audience and introduce all the people in the show.

He even joked about buying Clay Aiken merchandise in the lobby. His show has such a personal touch.

Clay let Andrew and Sara say hello, announced what their ages were, and told the audience what a great job they did.

Clay, dressed in black with a red tie, began to walk back and forth across the stage, saying how wonderful it was to work with such a great bunch of people when a woman from the audience decided to interrupt him.

"Excuse me," Clay said. "What is so important that you have to interrupt my show?"

The audience laughed, and Clay walked over to the woman and said, "Stand up. What is it you wanted to say?"

The woman stood up and couldn't say anything. I think she was in shock.

She sat down, and Clay said, "Are you sure you have nothing to say?"

She was still stunned and just said, "Ahh."

Clay asked her to stand up again, but this time he gave her a big hug.

The audience cheered and yelled "Clay."

Clay commented, "Some of the most talented people that we have in this country started out in community theatre."

After the show I was still overwhelmed with excitement, and so was my Uncle Robert and my Auntie Arlene.

In fact, my auntie couldn't wait to purchase the Clay Aiken Christmas ornament that they were selling in the lobby. She even took the time to joke with the sales clerk.

"It's just Clay's picture on this," she said. "Where is my nephew's picture? He should be on the side. Don't worry. I'm going to put a picture on myself when I get home."

We waited for my brother and Paula to come out from backstage, and when I first saw them they had an indescribable glow in their faces.

I was able to ask Michael and Paula about what were some of their favorite parts of the show and best moments.

"The best moment about singing with Clay Aiken for me was that my four-year-old nephew Jacob thought that he saw me waving to him. I couldn't see him in the crowd of 2,700 people, but I tried to wave in his direction. He didn't seem to care about seeing Clay Aiken, but truly believed that I was waving just to him," Michael smiled.

"When Clay met us and shook hands individually, he started with the kids first and when he got to the end, Clay said that he didn't remember everyone's name, but he remembered Andrew (seven years) because he complimented him. He said he liked his song ("Don't Save It All") when Clay shook his hand," Paula said.

Clay, who brought his elementary music teacher, Allison Lawrence, on tour with him to perform in his show, took great care of the cast backstage.

"Allison was reading an excerpt from Clay's book that was about her as a teacher and how Clay would fool around and got kicked out of class. Ask John about the page (101) in the book for exact verbiage," Paula said.

To end the night, we all took the train home, and the train was full of people. Everyone was reading their books and not talking until one woman noticed my Auntie Arlene's Clay Aiken ornament.

The woman said, "We just saw Clay Aiken tonight."

Now, of course, my beaming Auntie Arlene said, "My nephew was in the show. He's right there."

She pointed across the train.

One by one, you saw people closing their books, smiling, and listening about the night we had watching Michael and Paula perform with Clay Aiken.

Paula and Michael are currently preparing for upcoming roles, but were asked to perform again for Clay in New Jersey and Connecticut.

Michael is directing "Peter Pan" at Bay Colony Productions and performing in a show in Boston with Animus Ensemble called "Promises, Promises." He will be performing in "Ragtime" at the New Rep Theatre in April.

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF