CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Saturday, October 22, 2005

A Fresh Perspective on Music

An interesting article from Ominbus Online about music preferences.

Your music preference does not make you better than me
By Jesica Jacobs
Published: Friday, October 21, 2005


Like most things, music is subjective. We all like different things. Knowing this, I have come to the realization that many people, including myself, need to shut up and be a little more understanding. What pleases my ear may damage yours. What you find enjoyable may make me want to hurl. But we need to understand the important thing: if the music inspires then it is doing its job. It is not so difficult to say, "not my style but I don't begrudge you the right to indulge."

I have a beautiful and wonderful friend who loves Clay Aiken. Often I have snubbed my nose at such a prospect, but he inspires her and I need to appreciate and be thankful for this. I have a couple very close friends that are addicted to the country music. Whatever. It is fine if it makes them want to be a better person.

Being a musician myself, I want the music I choose to make me want to make music of my own. I know you do not know who Architecture in Helsinki is and I understand that you probably do not care about The Decemberists, The Avalanches, or Aloha, but respect that I do.

If your music does not inspire you or make you feel things you rarely feel, I suggest trying some new music. Other than that, I think you and I both need to keep our mouths shut about what other people listen to. Not to say that when you find a band or artist that really makes you wild you should not share them, just do not look down on someone for what they already enjoy.

So, no more saying "if you do not own and love (insert album name here) then you are not a true musician and you do not know what music is." It does not mean that you have to like listening to Clay, just shut up when someone else appreciates him. And do not worry, I will take my own advice.

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF