CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Thursday, September 08, 2005

KBGX Program Director Apologizes to Clayfans

KBGX, a radio station in Sprintfield, MO followed the lead of other radio stations and started taking donations for the Red Cross in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. For $45, they would play any song they had in their system. When the CB's CLAYPERFECT requested Clay's Bridge Over Troubled Water and donated $45, the song was not played. This occurred 4 times, according to the program director, so to rectify the problem, KBGX played the song at 6 PM yesterday and dedicated the song to Clayfans.

Telephone call transcript from the CB's CLAYPERFECT:

The Program Manager for KBGX 105.9 here in Springfield Mo.Tony Matteo..just
returned my call..this is how the conversation went: Let me warn it it was a 22
minute conversation so is a bit long..I kept notes while we chatted don't think
I missed anything..at least I hope not.I did not want to turn this call into a
conversation about Clay ..but he kept asking and I kept replying..and it did
turn into a Clay conversation.

TM:Hello Jeanene this is Tony Matteo of
KBGX 105.9 how are you today
Me:..I am just fine..glad you returned my call
and email
TM: first of all let me apologize to you for not playing your
request and if you would like we will gladly refund your money
Me:..God
Forbid NO...thats not the point..I want that money to go to the convoy of
hope..I would never dream of asking for it back they need it a whole lot more
than I do and I was glad to help even in a small way
TM:..thank you Jeanene
it was such a success and we are so thankful to everyone who contributed to the
fund raiser..now let me explain to you what I have found out...I did go back and
check all the incoming calls personally...and yes your request for BOTW by Clay
Aiken was not played..as a matter of fact we had 4 request for Clay Aiken and
none of them were played...
ME:..and can you explaine me to why was that
TM:.well we had so many request that day some just got lost in the
shuffel..we had request for Ozzie Osbourn..and several other artist that also
did not get plalyed
Me:..I can understand this happening occasionally but
now explaine to me please..how is it possible to lose in the shuffle 4 request
for one artist...you would think that at least one of them would have made the
air..due to the lack of airplay for Clays songs ..I really thought that this
time you would have to play him..since it was for such a great cause..
TM:..I can't explaine...................
Me: my point exactly!!!
TM:..to be honest with you I personally like Clay Aiken and BOTW is one of
my favorite songs by him and it would have been perfect for the fund
raiser..again I apologize
Me:..I understand payolo and some of the workings
of the radio industry ...and I feel most radio stations are really missing the
boat..there are millions of fans out here who like many artist that never get
airplay..so they like me have reverted to satillite radio and streaming..and of
course our CD players
TM:..I can assure you that I am aware of payola and we
here at KGBX do not practice or get involved in it at all..
we play by most
requested from our listening audience
Me:..not necessarily true Mr.
Matteo..in the past there has been a lot of request for Clay's music and it get
ignored..every time..when you call back and ask if they are going to play
it..you get one excuse after another..like ran out of time..etc.
regarless
it isn't played..so we just turn off our radio's .. and I might add your DJ's
especially Woody seems to take great pleasure in making fun of Clay and using
for the brunt of his stupid jokes..sorry to be so frank but it's true..I would
never request a song by Clay Aiken from Woody or anyone on your early morning
show..they seem to get great pleasure out of making fun of people and its just
not my thing
TM: so you are telling me that Clay is not played on the radio
Me:..only if you live east of the Mississippi or the west coast
TM:. why
do you think that is
Me: your the Program Director you tell me
TM.laughed..how true...I had no idea there were so many fans in our area..is
there a local fan club here in Springfield
Me:..there are a lot of fans here
and yes we do have a local fan club that meets once a month
TM: I had no
idea..why don't we get more request
Me: cause you won't play our request
like I said earlier..we have gone to satallite or streaming..
TM:..I hate to
hear that..any suggestion on getting some of you back to listing to the radio..
Me: Yes..play our request occasionally... I have a motel here in Lebanon and
I play your station in the office along with Clay's CD's 24-7..have to admitt
more CD's but you would be amazed at the comments I get daily on that voice
coming out of the stero..people have actually asked me why you dont hear him on
the radio..my reply is always payola
TM: what is the name of your motel and
where in Lebanon is it located..I visit Lebanon often or just pass through
Me:..Historic Route 66 Inn..we are located at exit 127
TM: I will be
sure and look you up next time I come through..I am glad to hear that our
station reaches your area
TM:.as far as.payola goes it is not something we
practice here but I can understand where you are coming from..you have really
enlighted me on a few things..and I do appreciate it..you have definately given
me a few things to think about here and possibly correct..I wish more of our
listeners would take the time you have to voice your concerns..tell you what I
am going to do
( mind you now I have not asked for anything YET lol)..I am
going to play BOTW..what time do you want to hear it..
Me:..I want to hear
it at your peak time..that way more people will be able to enjoy it not just me
TM:..6pm is a peak time for us..I will play the song at 6pm and dedicate it
to you and all the local Clay Fans..not only will I do that but I promise you
that I will make sure that every request made for Clay will be played in the
future and not put on the back burner..and I will also promise you that no less
than once a week Clay Aiken will be played on this radio station
Me:..Thank
you so much Mr. Matteo..that is more than I ever expected and I am grateful
TM:..I understand that Clay just finished his tour and is getting ready for
the Christmas tour
Me: yes
TM: last Christmas we did play a lot of his
MCWL and we will most definately do that again..the response was very positive
last year and our viewers seemed to enjoy it
Me:..that would be great I am
looking forward to it..he also will have a new albumn out after the first of the
year and gave us a taste of a few of the songs that might be on it..I hope to
hear some of these on your station as well
TM:..yes I do know about his
sophmore albumn coming out and the feeling is that it will do very well
Me:..thats means a lot hearing that from you and I want to thank you for
your time and your concern. I have to admit I was very surprised to recieve your
email..made me feel as if you were really sencere and and cared about your
listing audience.
TM:..your very welcome and yes I do care and I appreciate
your comments like I said you gave me a few things to think about..laughed..and
Clay Aiken is a lucky guy to have such devoted fans like you
Me:..Clay has
millions of fans..unfortunately we all get thrown into the "Claymate"
catagory..which I am proud of ..but most DJ's..Woody included... and people in
the industry think the claymates are old worn out women or crazies..which we are
not..his fan base ranges from 2yrs to 100 years old.and includes thousands of
men as well both young and old...and thousand of fans out there that arn't so
called claymates but enjoy his music and talent and the radio stations are
missing out on a golden opportunity to increase their listeners by not playing
him..
TM: you may have a good point there ..laughed again
Me: again I
want to thank you for taking the time to talk to me ..I know you are a busy man
and I really do appreciate it..and I am really looking forward to hearing BOTW
this evening..
TM:..your very welcome Jeanene..I have really enjoyed our
conversation ..and I want to thank you for your donation and be assured you will
hear BOTW at 6PM..I will also be tuned in..laughed again...and you will hear him
on our airways weekly I promise.
Me:..It was great to talk with you thanks
again and have a great day
TM:..you too Jeanene..I'll look you up next time
I come thru Lebanon..laughed again.
me: I will be looking forward to
it..

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF