CDD
RSS feed
Bookmark CDD using AddThis
Add to Homepage
You can now add CDD's headlines to your personalized homepage at any of these service providers. CDD - keeping you connected with the Clay nation!


Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!
CDD
Your Source for Everything Clay Aiken!
CDD Clay Today

We've partnered with FeedBlitz to provide you a daily digest of the latest Clay news from our website. Get CDD's headlines in your inbox every morning.

Subscribe to CDD Clay Today

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Close [X]

The #1 Clay Aiken News Website

BurberryAiken's CDD | Home & News

Latest News From CDD

Friday, September 03, 2004

'Idol' Star Clay Aiken is Still Baffled by Fame

ABQ Journal

Friday, September 3, 2004

By Leanne Potts

Journal Staff Writer


Nice guys don't always finish last. In Clay Aiken's case, the nice guy finished second— and still ended up on top.
Aiken, the elfin runner-up from season 2 of the reality show "American Idol," turned out to have as much star power as rotund winner Ruben Studdard. The former special education teacher from North Carolina has seen his debut album "Measure of a Man" go platinum, inspired a slew of worshipful Web sites dedicated to following his every move and has a legion of smitten female fans who call themselves "Claymates."
The 25-year-old also has been on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, and he is in the middle of his third national tour. He will play at the New Mexico State Fair tonight.
Aiken called last week from Buffalo, N.Y., to chat about all things Clay. Here is an edited version of his comments.
On his being named the sexiest male singer of the year by the readers of InStyle magazine:
I don't know what's going on with people! Two years ago, people didn't even know my name. People didn't even pay attention to me. I don't get it. I really don't. It's very confusing to me. I think it's a joke half the time. I saw that thing (about being named the sexiest singer) and I thought I was being punked.
On why so many women are so crazy about him:
It's my musk, I think. Make sure you quote me on that.
On the instant celebrity that resulted from "American Idol":
It's something that takes a lot of getting used to, and I'm not quite there yet. Not long ago I would have been able to go anywhere. Now just to go to the grocery store or the bank or the gas station is quite a procedure. If I want to do something I have to get a security guy to get prepared for this and that and the other, and to get the car ready.
I'm still definitely not used to going out to dinner and having five people come up and interrupt dinner. It puts you in a tough spot, because I have to realize if it wasn't for these people asking for my autograph, I would never be here.
On keeping in touch with his "Idol" competitors:
I talk to Ruben about once a month. He's doing a gospel album right now. Kim Locke is my roommate in L.A. I talk to the others whenever I get the opportunity, so we kind of stay in touch. We're kind of a family. We worked together. We lived together. We went through the same stuff. We'll stay close forever, I'm sure.
On the waning popularity of "Idol" in its most recent season:
I'd like to think it's because the talent wasn't as good. I'm kidding. I think a lot of it is based on who the contestants are— not whether they can sing or not, but who they are. Ruben and I, our finale— I'm not trying to toot my own horn here— but it was much more suspenseful than either of the other seasons. Season 1, it was very obvious that Kelly was going to win it. Season 3, it was obvious Fantasia was going to take it. Next season, season 4, if they can pull two people in it who are neck and neck at the finale, they'll do just as well.
On whether or not he would do "Idol" again:
Hmmmmm. I'm happy. I do love what I'm doing. I do miss being a teacher. I do miss North Carolina. I do miss having that freedom that comes with being unknown.
I kind of like to think that I'm here for a higher purpose than my own stuff. I talk to people every night who said that this song made a difference to them, or that song did something for them. If I think about it that way, it would be selfish to say I wouldn't do it again.
I have to remember who put me here, and why I'm here, and what I need to do in order to make God happy, and to make the public happy. I have to realize there's probably more good coming out of me signing 10 autographs at dinner than I know.

0 comments:


CDD supports:

Bubel Aiken Foundation GoodSearch for TBAF UNICEF